Thursday, May 7, 2015

About Time, Thoughts about real life as an aspiring writer, Part 2

Continuing my series about my experiences, thoughts and lessons learned on my journey to becoming a writer is this second installment best subtitled "About Time".

Time can be seen as a gift or the perceived lack thereof can be seen as a curse.

One of my author bios says something like "he has always wanted to become a writer...". This is true, especially since I found that my childhood aversion to reading books was not the fault of the books but it was more of the "I'll do it but I won't like it" attitude I had toward compulsory assignments.  So this leads to the question, if I have really "always wanted to be a writer", why did I not start sooner? I don't know if I can pinpoint it down to one single reason (or excuse, take your pick) but here are a few:
1. I was too busy. I work a full-time job as a computer programmer, meaning 8-5 Monday - Friday and sometimes more. I have a wide and two children.
2. How could an unknown first timer break into the publishing world? I don't know any publishers. I can't afford the expensive fees I've heard about to get a book published.
3. Fear of failure. What if I wrote a book and everyone hated it? Could I handle writing something and it not selling? Would I end up with a stack of unsold copies?

Once I answered my own questions, I didn't any reason not too write. Here are my answers:
1. We all have the same amount of time in a day, its just a matter of prioritizing what we have to do with what we want to do.
2.  Simple answer, self-publish. When I found out that one of my co-workers sister made a full time career out of self-publishing books through Amazon, I set my sights on their sites kdp.amazon.com and createspace.com. This would allow me to publish a paperback and Kindle version almost for free.
3. Some fears are meant to overcome, and for me F.O.F. was one of those fears. It helped to make it easier to make the jump when I found out that Amazon self-publishing services are almost free. My thought process was that if I "failed" it couldn't really hurt me, just my pride. Sure enough, I'm not in pain, even though I have only sold into the double digits.

Another angle I could use to look at time in the process of writing Teddy Visits Mitchell Farms is the time I spent writing it. It took much longer than I expected to finish. I'm pretty sure I stayed up all night several times writing, working on the layout and editing the book.  I think it was all time well spent because I learned so much about the publishing process and I had a lot of fun doing it. I'm still having fun when I'm able to use some of my time to blog, post, or tweet. Today I took some of my day off and donated a copy of my book to the local public library, while I was there I got a library card.

Writing Tip:
If you have written something , a book, article, blog post, paper, report, anything, you need to proofread it. If you can afford the time, step away from it for a while and come back and read it again. If you can afford an editor, hire one. While I haven't yet taken my own advice on this, because I'm cheap, I plan to use an editor for any novels I write.

 The next part of this series might include something about character development.

No comments:

Post a Comment